Grain rice is undoubtedly the most common staple food of the world with more than 60% of the world’s population directly dependent on them. It is only fair that Asia and Pacific with bulk of the population on earth has consistently topped the list of the highest rice producers. Among them, India surely ranks very high on the grades of various rice varieties and production capacity. In terms of production, it is only next to China and closing on this gap with every passing year.
Although a lion’s share of the production is consumed in India itself, the premium long grain rice, short grain rice and whole grain rice is in high demand across the world especially in places like Middle East, Europe, Canada, U.S.A, Africa and Far East.
Health benefits of Indian rice
- Rich in carbohydrates, offering more energy and fuel for the brain
- No fat, no cholesterol and completely sodium free
- Rich in vitamins and minerals such as thiamine, niacin, iron, riboflavin, vitamin D and calcium.
- Since it is free of gluten, people with gluten allergy can have it
- Good for people with hyper tension
- Easy to digest
- Rich in fibers, hence recommended for small children.
Varieties of Non-basmati rice
India produces a large variety of non-basmati rice such as
- Indian Long/whole/Short Grain White Raw Rice
- Indian Long/ whole /Short Grain Parboiled Rice
- Indian Long/ whole /Short Grain Parboiled Golden Rice
- Indian Long/ whole /Short Grain Brown Rice
- Indian Long/ whole /Short Grain Organic Rice
- Indian Long/ whole /Short Grain Steam Rice
Alobha Exim, one of the largest exporters of Basmati and non-basmati rice in India, offers the following varieties.
- 1121 Steam rice
- 1121 Super Fine rice
- Golden Sella
- Pusa Sella
- Pusa steam
- Sugandha steam
Our platter of varieties represents rich Indian heritage coupled with impeccable quality and taste. Special care is taken to ensure that we maintain a healthy inventory at all times to cater to the sudden demands of our clients as well as enquiries from new ones. We have associated state-of-art milling plants in North India, which is manned by industry experts and top quality analysts.
How to choose good quality long grain rice, short grain rice and whole grain rice?
- Alobha Exim offers Basmati and Non-Basmati rice in pre-packaged bags as well as in bulk containers.
- If you are purchasing pre-packaged rice, look for a “expiry” date on the package since long grain rice, owing to its natural oils, has the tendency to become rancid if stored for long periods of time.
- Just as with any other food that you may purchase in the bulk section, make sure that the bins containing the rice are covered and that the store has a good product turnover so as to ensure its maximal freshness.
Whether purchasing rice in bulk or in a packaged container, make sure that there is no evidence of moisture, contamination with stones and debris, or infestation by insects.
– Written by Jaga Salai, a food technologist, working as Production Manager in Alobha Exim